Wednesday, December 22, 2010

Picasso

Disclaimer: I know nothing about art. I had never read anything about Picasso or his work until after writing this post, only google imaged his paintings.

Personally, I find Picasso's cubist art offensive. I'm not entirely sure why, but if I look at one of his paintings I feel disgusted and taken aback. And not in a good way.
I have noticed that most of his paintings depicting disfigured people are of women, and this bothers me. It looks like he sliced them up and stuck them back together haphazardly. The 'cut and paste' effect I feel is violent and seems to me if someone dreams of doing this figuratively... I don't know but I find it actually makes me recoil.

Picasso's self-portraits are for the most part quite complimentary. Those in 1896 and 1900 show a Simon from Misfits look-a-like (Future Simon obviously). The 'Yo Picasso' one, well yes his eye is a bit lopsided but he still looks pretty fit. The Pablo in 'Self Portrait with Cloak' from his blue period series is really quite attractive, in that 'brooding genius' kind of way. In 1906 there's the one 'with the Palette' in which he looks completely different, and his chest for some reason touches his chin, but again not an ugly guy. Then there's his most famous, that which is angular and geometrical. Perhaps you could say this is a bit butters. However in relation to his 'TĂȘte de Femme', 'A woman in a green hat' and 'Femme en Pleurs', he doesn't look bad.
Anyway, my point is why wasn't he ever cut up in his paintings?

And another thing. Picasso is quoted as having said "Art is a lie that makes us realise the truth." I fucking hate these kind of meaningless aphorisms, it makes him (it's nearly always a him) sound horribly pretentious and eager to be considered a thinker, a philosopher.

No comments: